Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Blessing of the Hot Fudge

As I have mentioned I am besottedly grateful for a lot of things, first and foremost my children. But also for everything around me in my life. Oh my! I have a house, a really nice house, by world standards, and we have separate bedrooms, and a lovely kitchen, and the pantry is full of food. My children are never hungry. We have soft beds. This is all amazing. So what if I can't afford to buy new shoes that I really like and think are cool? I have so very much. We all have to remind ourselves of this often. We are so fortunate in so many ways. Our one teacher's salary brings us more comfort than many other people could ever dream of.
For example? Bubbling on the stove, the family favorite, passed down from my chocoholic mother, hot fudge sauce.
I don't believe in depriving my children entirely of sugar, though I wouldn't let them eat it in peanut butter or juice. A good dose of sugar through the medium of a hot fudge sundae does EVERY body good, especially mine. So right now, the kids are drying off from their tub, after a cozy family dinner, and the hot fudge bubbles, and they'll come down in cozy sleeper jammies and we'll all have a hot fudge sundae.
That's privilege. That's comfort. We are blessed.

2 comments:

Awake said...

You are blessed. I've spent the last few days reading your entire blog. I cannot remember how I made it here, but I did, and I am glad. Your posts (and children) are beautiful. I thought I'd come out of the comfort of lurking to let you know I agree - you are blessed.

Aimee said...

You are blessed...and you paint such a beautiful picture. I'm just wondering though, because in my house giving the bath BEFORE the hot fudge would just be a huge waste of water. How do you pull that off? :)