Sunday, November 8, 2009

The blessings of the universe...

A mystery arrived in the mail yesterday, a brown package with my name penned on it in unfamiliar print. I opened the package, curious. It is so rare now that something unexpected happens.

And this was, truly, so very unexpected.

For inside the little, brown envelope, carefully sealed with tape, was the one thing that I really (greedily) felt that I needed for my baby, and did not have. Really.

A history on my mothering would indicate that I hoard certain things, knowing in my heart that in some circumstances you need just the right thing. I hoard cloth diapers, and I hoard babywearing devices. I have Ergos, and slings, and wraps galore, but there was one thing missing from my roster-- my favorite thing to carry a brand, new nursling in is a ring sling that is just the right size for me. I have one ring sling, but it is too big for me and works better only for a bigger baby in a hip or kangaroo carry. I can't nurse in it. When Aoife was a baby I borrowed a smaller one and it never left my body for 4 months, but I no longer have access to it. Many times during the past few weeks I have lamented not acquiring that just-right sling for me, so I can nestle up my new baby with ease, nurse on the go, and be anywhere with my newborn.

So can you guess what was in the package? That exact sling, in a beautiful, blue jaquard linen print. It is heavenly, gorgeous, and exactly right. I feel spoiled.

Here is the best part, the part that made me literally just about weep. One of you reading this knows what I am going to say. Because do you know who sent it to me?

One of you. Somebody I have never even met. My heart nearly broke and fell on the floor to feel this gesture, this motion of the warmest love from somebody who I do not even know in person. I am so grateful for the motion alone, not to mention the gift which was somehow the only thing I really wished I had for this fourth babe of mine.

So here it is, a huge thanks, and my love back to you for this lovely tribute. I shall wear it with pride, with the hope of ALL of you tucked inside it warmly and safely.

(now may the future occupant of the sling please reveal him/herself...wouldn't it be great if that were my next post?)

10 comments:

Hope's Mama said...

Wasn't me, Carol. But what a lovely, thoughtful and kind gesture. I have been amazed at the kindness of strangers since I joined this "club". I am so unlucky to be here, yet so lucky to have "met" the people I have. You included! I hope you get so much use out of the sling. I know you will.
xo

Rixa said...

Come out baby! (Although I am sad that your hospital won't allow siblings even to visit...seems a bit overkill to me).

Sara said...

What a wonderful surprise. I love stories like this that reaffirm the kindness in the world.

Each time I see something new from you, I am hoping it is a birth announcement.

caitsmom said...

Lovely. (((hugs)))

Beth said...

the kindness of strangers is just amazing, isnt it? i have discovered the very same thing.

Unknown said...

awesome!!!

Katie said...

I would love to know what type of sling.

Erika P said...

How wonderful! And yes, a birth announcement as the next post (and soon - come on out, baby!) would make the perfect ending to this story.
xo

Unknown said...

Sweet and thoughtful, like most of the lostbabymamas I know...

erica said...

What a great surprise!